Paxman Academy admission arrangements for academic Year 2019 – 20
The Paxman Academy is a non-selective free school and a member of The Sigma Trust, a local group of schools in the Colchester and Tendring area. The Paxman Academy will admit its first intake of Year 7 students in September 2019. The school will serve the local community and offer places to students regardless of ability or aptitude.
The school has an admission number of 180 for entry in year 7.
The school will accordingly admit this number of pupils if there are sufficient applications. Where fewer applicants than the published admission number(s) for the relevant year group are received, the Academy Trust will offer places at the school to all those who have applied.
The Sigma Trust will process applications outside the normal local authority process for co-ordinating school offers. This means you will need to complete your LA common application form for your other choices of school in addition to a separate application for this school.
Applications for this school should be sent to the Admissions Co-ordinator at the following address The Sigma Trust, Tendring Education Center, Jaywick Lane, Clacton on Sea, Essex, CO16 8BE or Email: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 31/10/2018
Offers will be made on 01/03/2019. If we have not entered into a funding agreement with the Secretary of State opening the school by that date, they will be conditional offers and will be confirmed once we have a signed funding agreement.
The application form can be obtained from www.paxmanacademy.org.uk 2 Published: January 2017 (v7)
When the school is oversubscribed, after the admission of pupils with an Education, Health and Care plan or a Statement of Special Educational Needs naming the school, priority for admission will be given to those children who meet the criteria set out below, in priority order:
1. Looked after children and children who were previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to adoption, a child arrangements order, or special guardianship order.
2. Priority will next be given to the siblings of pupils attending the school at the time the application is received, where an older sibling is in Year 11 siblings will not be prioritised under this criterion (from 2020 onwards).
3. Priority will next be given to children attending the following feeder schools
- Gosbecks Primary
- Hamilton Primary
- Iceni Primary
- Montgomery Junior School
- St. Michael’s Primary
4. Priority will next be given to children eligible for the pupil or service premium. Evidence of eligibility will need to be submitted with the application. See notes below on eligibility.
5. Other children
If in categories 2-5 above a tie-break is necessary to determine which child is admitted, the child living closest to the school will be given priority for admission. Distance is measured from the child’s home to the front gates of the school in a straight line
Random allocation undertaken by the local authority will be used as a tie-break in categories 2-5 above to decide who has highest priority for admission if the distance between a child’s home and the academy/free school is equidistant in any two or more cases.’
Random allocation will not be applied to multiple birth siblings (twins and triplets etc.) from the same family tied for the final place. We will admit them all, as permitted by the infant class size rules and exceed our PAN. 3 Published: January 2017 (v7)
All applications received by the Sigma Trust after the deadline will be considered to be late applications. Late applications will be considered after those received on time. If, following consideration of all applicants the school is oversubscribed, parents may request that their child is placed on the school’s waiting list.
Admission of children outside their normal age group
Parents may request that their child is admitted outside their normal age group. To do so parents should include a request with their application, specifying why admission out of normal year group is being requested.
The school will operate a waiting list. Where the school receives more applications for places than there are places available, a waiting list will operate until the end of the first term after the beginning of the school year. This will be maintained by the Academy Trust and it will be open to any parent to ask for his or her child’s name to be placed on the waiting list, following an unsuccessful application.
Children’s position on the waiting list will be determined solely in accordance with the oversubscription criteria. Where places become vacant they will be allocated to children on the waiting list in accordance with the oversubscription criteria. The waiting list will be reordered in accordance with the oversubscription criteria whenever anyone is added to or leaves the waiting list.
All applicants refused a place have a right of appeal to an independent appeal panel constituted and operated in accordance with the School Admission Appeals Code.
Appellants should contact the Admissions Co-ordinator at The Sigma Trust, Tendring Education Center, Jaywick Lane, Clacton on Sea, Essex, CO16 8BE or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org by 21/03/2019 for information on how to appeal. Information on the timetable for the appeals process is on our website at www.paxmanacademy.org.uk. 4 Published: January 2017 (v7)
The home address is where a child normally lives. Where a child lives with parents with shared parental responsibility, each for part of a week, the address where the child lives is determined using a joint declaration from the parents stating the pattern of residence. If a child’s residence is split equally between both parents, then parents will be asked to determine which residential address should be used for the purpose of admission to school. If no joint declaration is received where the residence is split equally by the closing date for applications, the home address will be taken as the address where the child is registered with the doctor. If the residence is not split equally between both parents then the address used will be the address where the child spends the majority of the school week.
‘Sibling’ means a natural brother or sister, a half brother or sister, a legally adopted brother or sister or half-brother or sister, a step brother or sister or other child living in the same household as part of the same family who, in any of these cases, will be living at the same address at the date of their application for a place.
Pupil and Service Premium Priority:
Those eligible for Pupil Premium admission priority are:
- Are currently registered as eligible for free schools meals;
- Have been registered as eligible for free school meals at any point in the last six years
Children for whom their parents cannot provide evidence that their child is currently registered for free school meals, or has been in the past 6 years but where the child or its parents receive any of the following:
- Universal Credit
- Income Support;
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance;
- An income-related employment and support allowance;
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income that, from 6 April 2011, does not exceed £16,190 (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs);
5 Published: January 2017 (v7)
- Where a parent is entitled to the Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit);
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
Those eligible for Service Premium admission priority are:
- Children whose parent(s) are serving in the regular UK armed forces;
- Children of ex regular UK armed forces personnel who were serving in the last 3 years;
- Children where at least one parent died while serving in the UK armed forces and the child is in receipt of a pension under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) and the War Pensions Scheme (WPS).
- Parents will be required to provide evidence of eligibility with their application.
Click here to download the Paxman Academy Admission Form
Paxman Academy Admission Form > Download