The Paxman Academy / Philip Morant School and College Joint Local Governing Body
|Autumn Term: N/A||Spring Term: 05/03/2019||
Summer Term: 09/07/2019
|Autumn Term: 01/10/2019||Spring Term: 03/03/2020||
Summer Term: TBC
The Sigma Trust has five Members that include the Chair of the Board of Trustees. The Members have a role akin to shareholders. Founding Members are signatories to the Articles of Association.
They have the power to amend the Trust’s Articles, receive the annual accounts and appoint Trustees as set out in the Articles. The Members meet on a termly basis which includes the Annual General Meeting.
Details of the individual Members are available on The Sigma Trust website sigmatrust.org.uk
The Trust is overseen by a Board of Trustees, currently consisting of 9 members including the Chair and Chief Executive Officer. Trustees are responsible for governing and exercising all the powers of the Trust.
- Ensuring clarity of vision, values and strategic direction.
- Holding the CEO to account for the educational performance of the Trust’s academies
- Overseeing the financial performance of the Trust and ensuring legal compliance.
In addition to the LGBs, the Board of Trustees has two formal sub-committees; Finance and Audit & Risk. Details of the individual Trustees are available on The Sigma Trust website: sigmatrust.org.uk
The Sigma Trust firmly believes in local governance structures. LGBs have delegated functions as set out in the Trust’s Scheme of Delegation. The Trustees remain accountable and responsible for these functions.
The duties of the LGBs include:
- Establishing the vision and ethos for the relevant academy ensuring that it fits within and promotes the vision and ethos of the Trust.
- Safeguarding and promoting the values of the Academy
- Supporting the Headteacher of the Academy and being a critical friend
- Monitoring the achievement, quality of teaching and behaviour and safety within the Academy
- Engagement with the Academy’s key stakeholders e.g. parents/carers, pupils and staff
- Advising the Trustees about local issues they need to consider that affect the Academy
The Trust is moving towards a structure where each LGB consists of four or five “Regional Governors” that sit on more than one LGB, sometimes these LGBs are combined and meet on the same night. The Regional Governors will have a number of years of experience that they can bring to the LGB and may include Trustees. The remaining members of the LGB must include two elected parents and two staff members, including the Headteacher. The Chairs of LGB meet with the Chair of the Trust and the CEO on a termly basis.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Paxman Academy Local Governing Body, please contact The Sigma Trust by email on email@example.com
For full details of the governance of The Sigma Trust including The Scheme of Delegation and Articles of Association please
click here for the Sigma Trust website.